Click on the thumbnails to view full size photos (WARNING !!! If you are using Internet Explorer, these pictures will be VERY large. They are best viewed in Firefox which is a free program to download.
Click here to download Firefox This is a browser to use instead of Internet Explorer.)
After you have downloaded and installed Firefox, use this program to access the web.
Chaff cutting at Gratwick's farm, Glencoe, 1915
Background L-R W Noolan, AE Gratwick, SW McRostie,W Holloway, G Bennett, J Burston, A McIntosh
Strawberry picking. Glencoe.
Mr McRostie was known to be growing a crop producing about 2,000lbs of strawberries per year
|Cutting grass hay on Byrne
property, Glencoe 1925
|Six horse team carting potatoes from Glencoe to Mt
Those employed in photo: Mick Auld, Archie Menzies, Feather Hughes,
Albert Widdison, Ted Widdison, driver Eric Cameron
|Steam engine & thresher, Glencoe
Roy Kennedy, Alex Dow, William Hillyer, Thomas Kennedy
|John McInnes, early Glencoe Butcher. 1920|
|Rabbit exterminator at work in the Glencoe district, 1922||Ploughing at Holloway farm, Glencoe, 1918
HS Holloway, TF Gratwick
|Carting sheaved hay for stacking
on Byrne's property,
|Ploughing, Burston property, Glencoe 1940's
Sid Burston, Sylvester Bonney, & daughter Roma Bonney
|Carting milk in cans to the
Ron Mullan, 1940's
|Early form of transport
Jim Agars, Yvonne Agars, 1945
|Pushing loose hay to a stack
using a bean truck.
Don Dow's farm, 1940's
|Stacking loose grass for silage on Don Dow's farm
with the use of an elevator.
Nev Bignell, Jack Dow, Ern Rees, John Dow. 1948
|Formation of a loose haystack
with use of horse and trolley and a push rake
Agar's farm, 1949
|Stationary hay press, Agar's property, 1950
Ron Mullan, Reg Mullan, Jim Agars, Barry Mullan, Brian Agars, Peter Agars, Yvonne Agars
|Loose hay stacking
with the use
of a push rake, Agar's farm, 1950
Brian Agars, Ron Mullan, Darryl Morrish, Jim Agars, Reg Mullan
|Stacking loose hay with the use of a horse operated
hay lift. Agar's farm.
Glencoe west, 1952
|Horse and trolley corner
Woolshed and Burston Roads. Glencoe 1947
Regular scene in wet years. George Matheson returning from milk factory
|The flax season
Truck belonging to Jack A Dow
|Accident. Stan Medhurst's trolley on Woolshed Rd. Loss of wheel. 1940's||Gilbert Ferguson cutting oats with a binder near Bluff Range, Glencoe, 1940's|
|Ron Mullan with converted
buckboard, Glencoe 1940's
In the back, Val Mullan, Barry Mullan
on Ern Case's farm
|Milking cows in Ron Mullan's
Ron Mullan was first dairy farmer in Glencoe to convert his dairy to a herringbone system during the early 1950's
on Auld property, Glencoe.
Stone from this quarry was used to build many early buildings in Glencoe when under the ownership of W Young
|Austin truck, a replacement vehicle from the horse & trolley, for carting milk to the cheese factory, Ron Mullan farm, Glencoe, 1950's||Can wash-up area. Glencoe co-op cheese factory,
|Dow farm dairy, Glencoe
|Saw dust from Clement's saw mill, Glencoe West. Agar's farm, 1952|
|Saw dust from Clement's saw mill, Glencoe West. 1952||Carting Loose hay.
Eric Childs, Vic Vogan
|Vic Vogan carting milk to the cheese factory, Glencoe 1940's||Loose hay stacks. Eric Child's farm, Glencoe 1940's|
Glencoe 1906. Riddoch Bros.
John Riddoch, Joe Riddoch, Jim Riddoch
|First store at the homestead end
at Glencoe was built and operated by FG Burton & Co in 1905. situated just
west and slightly behind the present day store.
Tom Savill, Tom Gratwick, Bob Gratwick, Horrie Bignell, Bill Meyers
|1st store built at Glencoe on the factory corner on land owned by Mr SJ Norris. opened by Messrs Edward & Goode, storekeepers of Mt Gambier in 1902. Shop burnt down in 1907|
|New commodious business premises of Mr FG Burton erected in King Edward St. opened 1908, replacing the wood & iron store & post office. This stood on the corner where the present shop now stands.||Glencoe railway terminus during busy period 1910|
|Mr FG Burton's new store
the addition of a verandah.
Sam McMahon, Kelly Young, Watty Sims, Albert Widdison, ?, Jack Burston, Reverend Bald, ?
|View of Glencoe West looking west from Church hill 1952|
|View looking east from Presb Church hill 1952. now Glencoe Central Primary school||Glencoe Shearers quarters purchased for the purpose of a hall 1911|
|Committee at the opening of Glencoe
District hall 1912
PS Mitchell, John Holloway, Hughie Cameron, FA Telfer
WD Mitchell, John Livingstone MHR, Malcolm Cameron, John Watson, GF Ferguson
|Official opening of Glencoe District hall 1912
showing the first car in the district owned by WGH Sporer.
Building next to the hall is a bakery built & operated by Mr Badenoch of Tantanoola 1905
|Campsite during construction of railway 1904||Campsite during construction of railway 1904
(standing) ?, Tyner sn, William Widdison
(sitting) ?, ?,?, ?, ? , ?, Ted Widdison, Dan Baker, William Medhurst, ? Tyner Jn
|Train from Glencoe to Mt Gambier loaded with 20 trucks of potatoes 1905||First train to leave Glencoe for Mt Gambier 1904|
|Train to Glencoe for official opening of the G to Mt G railway carrying Parliamentarians & dignitaries 1904||Parliamentarians & dignitaries gathered for the official opening of the railway|
|Commisioner of works, hon Joseph Vardon, addressing children of Glencoe & Tarqua schools on the arrival of first train 1904||Hay loaded on the train for drought relief 1930's|
|Train from Glencoe West going through Glencoe cutting 1930's||Glencoe train at Malla siding 1904|
|Loading railway trucks 1930's||Glencoe terminus looking east 1930's|
|Glencoe terminus looking west 1930's||Stacks of grain, station yard, Glencoe railway terminus 1930's|
|Last train to leave Glencoe from Mt Gambier at Kirip railway siding 1st July 1957||Painting of Glencoe Homestead displaying portion of homestead most lived in by the occupants, as the main part of the building was never completely furnished & considered unfit to live in|
|Picnic party at Lake Leake 1890||Picnic party at Lake Leake 1890|
near Glencoe, once
used as a sheep wash
WM Mitchell & Sons, PS Mitchell & WD Mitchell carting wood 1898
|Swimming at the Tarqua Waterhole near Glencoe 1910|
|Glencoe fishermen at Lake Leake. 1905. John Burston, William Medhurst, James Medhurst, ? Mann, Dan Baker||Glencoe Sports & Recreation ground, adjacent to the hall 1910|
|Recreaction ground was set aside for New Years day & Roman Catholic sports days, cricket & football matches 1910||Glencoe Sports & recreation ground, 1910|
|Glencoe Rifle club 1910.
Oswald Sporer sitting on right b.1882 d.1940
|Glencoe Rifle club 1935
(stand) Charlie Northen, Mervyn Blackmore, Claude Leader, Jack Dow, Lewis Koop, Ian Mitchell, Will Northen, Ron Telfer
(front) J Dignan, Cec Woodward, Bob Agnew
|Fishing Tarqua Lagoon 1950's
Fred Hunter, Barry Mullan
|Glencoe Sports & Recreation ground, 1910|
|Albert Easton, potato digging at Mitchell's, Glencoe West 1908||Property of Ellen & Albert Easton, Ryan Rd, Glencoe purchased 1910. House built 1912, dismantled 1952, part sec 426 Hd Hindmarsh|
|Ellen & Albert Easton with grand daughter Vina and their daughter Rene 1944||Former home of Elizabeth & Alf Case, and Coral & Ron Bignell, Burston Rd. Property purchased in 1975 by present owners Janice & Harold Weedon. Originally a shepherd's cottage. Dismantled 1984.|
|Former home of the Agnew family and Cic family, opp Kirip railway siding. property purchased 2004 by Lynda & Wayne Field. Originally a cottage for workers on outstation for the leakes & Riddochs. One of the oldest homes in the area still being occupied in 2012||Original home of Adelaide & William Widdison & family, Woolshed Rd. Glencoe. Purchased 1904. Owned by the family to 1984. Later owned by Wayne Field 1989-2004|
|Mervyn Blackmore & his truck. Albert Easton on top of hay & his son, Les Easton at truck door. mid 1950's||Debutantes at Glencoe Public Hall 26/4/1957
Back L-R Vina Easton, Joy McCarthy, Yvonne Hunter, Barbara Kennedy
Front:: Josephine Aslin, Maureen Kennedy, Maureen Widdison
|Vina Easton on fire lookout Tower at top of Bluff 1960.||Ray Easton at Glencoe East Cheese factory mid 1960's, feeding large slabs of curd into a milling machine. Employed at the factory for 46 years.|
|Ferguson tractor & horwood bagshaw super spreader driven by Wayne Field at Woolshed Rd Property 1990||Miniature Debutante Ball.
Presented to Mr. & Mrs A.C. Hookings
|3 sets of Twins started
together in grade 1, and all finished school together at Glencoe School
Rear:: Douglas & Gilbert Agnew.
Front From Left:; Megan & Marilyn Williams, Raelene & Gaie Easton
|From top:: Albert Easton, his
son Ray Easton.
Bottom:: Mary & Tom Easton. 1953
|Glencoe Methodist Young Mens club 1928|
| James Gunn
Born March 25th 1864. Died 1958
Father of Ronald, Frank,
Donald, Mabel & Vera.
|Emily Gunn (nee Nash)
Wife of James Gunn
Born February 20th 1868
Died 1922 at Glencoe
Home of Ronald & Dorothy Gunn.
(nee Holland) Marshall Road
|Donald and Ronald Gunn.
Ron was the operator of the
pictures at the Glencoe Hall
|Ron Gunn in cart with neighbour
Sims at pigsty on Fern-dale farm.
|Ron Gunn sewing bags
at the thresher.
He was one of the fastest bag sewers in the South East
|Mabel, Vera And Donald Gunn||Ron Gunn's daughters Mavis and Lorna|
|Lorna and Mavis Gunn. 1st Prize
winners in end of year, school
competition at Glencoe School
|Glencoe Debutante Ball 1946.
Standing:: Dawn Wilkinson (Widdison), Mavis
Gunn, (Edgcumbe), June Wilkinson (Matthews)
Sitting:: Nola Guerin, Ruth MacCarthy, Eileen
Phelan, (Considine) Betty Marshall.
|Ronald in V.D.C. uniform
. ( Volunteer Defence Corps)
Army training and manoeuvers held on his property at Kangaroo Flat Road, Glencoe.
Property in 2013 owned by Ruth & Dale Price.
|Ron Gunn and his old Dodge Buck Board. A resident of Glencoe 1919- 1952.|
Back :Don, ( married Rose Northen) Ron (married Dorothy Holland) and Frank Gunn.
Middle:: Mabel (laier) & Vera (married Patrick Byrne)
Sitting:: James Gunn
Lived in Glencoe 1940"s
Married Lorna Gunn
|Mavis and Lorna Gunn